OK this is for my 3 regular readers, my New Years goals for 2012. I know its a little late for New Years resolutions or goals but I was reading a post by Buck Woody. It reminded me of another post by him that is the inspiration for this post. So lets start with a recap of what was accomplished last year from a professional development perspective so I can have a realistic point of reference:
- Created this blog, stevefibich.net
- Wrote 15 blog posts.
- Started my Codeplex project
- Changed jobs after 10 years. Same kind of work, some of the same technologies, different people, different place, larger project.
Well that’s not bad but I think I can do better, so here it is I’m going on offical record with my 2012 goals (to be modified when nescessary)
- Get back on the certification train, 2 certification this year with a stretch goal of 3 certifications, the third to be non Microsoft technologies. (I’m leaning toward a Security or Cisco certification)
- Finally read The Pragmatic Programmer
- Read and review 3 other career related books.
- Write at least 3 chapters in my “Common Cent$” personal finance for the rest of us book. (In other words stop with revising the outline)
- Continue with my UtilityDB codeplex project. (2 more solid releases, get the documentation up to date)
- Pick back up with my game engine project.
- Create a reference implementation of my game engine, for whatever pieces and parts exist.
- Send out at least 3 emails for each Richmond SQL Server User Group meeting, and update the site no later than 1 week after the previous months event takes place.
That’s it 8 goals, 12 months….or at least 11 months left. I’ll check back in from time to time to let you 3 know how I’m doing.